Performing as a Pianist in Yorkshire
My name is Eugene Portman and I work as a wedding pianist in Yorkshire on a regular basis. Just for your information, I was born in the county so I always look forward to working here and visiting my family. Yorkshire has so many fantastic venues, from pubs to hotels and castles to ancestral homes. In fact, there are so many that you could easily be spoilt for choice. Whatever ever kind of venue you are looking for, you’ll certainly find it in Yorkshire.
It isn’t only weddings that I do, I also play the piano for many parties and corporate events in Yorkshire.
As well as giving me the opportunity to perform as a solo classical pianist, Yorkshire has given me work with other line-ups. I can provide small line-ups such as a duo or a trio with the classic line-up of piano, bass, and drums. While at the larger end of the scale, I can provide a five-piece jazz band. Here is a list of the line-ups I provide:
- Duo – piano and vocals or piano and bass
- Trio – piano, bass and vocals or piano, bass and drums
- Quartet – piano, bass, drums and vocals or piano, bass, drums and sax
- Five Piece Jazz Band – piano, bass, drums, sax and vocals
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need help with choosing a line-up for your event.
More and more I am called upon to perform as a solo classical pianist in the Yorkshire area and I have to say that it is something I really do enjoy. Sometimes I am asked just to play a few classical pieces for a wedding ceremony but the demand is growing and I am now frequently asked to play one or two hours of classical music.
I love classical music, but it isn’t suitable for all events. In fact, some events need a mixture of different styles. To explain, weddings often require music from different genres for the various parts of the day. For example, classical music is very popular for ceremonies, whereas jazz seems to be the in-thing for drinks receptions. Also, the sort of music that is suitable for a wedding breakfast wouldn’t necessarily be the right thing for an evening reception.
My Work as a Sing-along Pianist in Yorkshire
Very recently there has been a trend in Yorkshire to book me as a sing-along pianist for weddings and other events. In fact, this has quickly become something that I really enjoy and I always look forward to my next sing-along event. When I do one of these sing-along events I provide all the song sheets and I dress like an old fashioned pub pianist. This includes a Bowler hat, waistcoat, grandad shirt, pocket watch, Neckerchief, etc.
Please visit the sing-a-long page for more information about this. Alternatively, visit my website at www.uksingalongpianist.co.uk and see when I’m next playing the piano for a public event in Yorkshire.
Also, please don’t just stay on this page. The rest of the site contains loads of different styles of piano music and does explain the different services that I can offer.
To hear examples of the different styles of music that I play, please visit the following pages:
If you would like help with your ceremony music then please visit the ceremony music page.
Please note that I am always willing to learn any requests that you may have.
Here are some of Yorkshire’s venues I’ve visited as a pianist:
- Cutlers’ Hall, Church Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S1 1HG
- Tankersley Manor, Church Lane, Tankersley Barnsley, South Yorkshire. S75 3DQ
- Wentworth Castle and Gardens, Wentworth Castle, Lowe Lane, Stainborough, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S75 3ET
- Whirlowbrook Hall, Eccleshall Road South, Sheffield, South Yorkshire. S11 9QD
- Whitley Hall Hotel, Elliot Lane, Grenoside, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S35 8NR
- Bertie’s Banqueting Rooms, Brook Street, Elland, Halifax, West Yorkshire. HX5 9AW
- Hope Hall (Albany Club), Clair Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2JP
- Morley Town Hall, Queen Street, Morley, West Yorkshire LS27 9DY
- Nostell Priory, Doncaster Road, Nostell, nr Wakefield, West Yorkshire WF4 1QE
- Oulton Hall, Rothwell Lane, Oulton, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS26 8HN
- The Queens, City Square, Leeds, LS1 1PJ
- Morley Town Hall, Morley, West Yorkshire LS27 9DY
- Walton Hall, Wakefield, West Yorks. WF2 6PW
- The Wentbridge House Hotel, Wentbridge Pontefract West Yorkshire WF8 3JJ
- The Orangery at Sewerby Hall & Gardens, Church Lane, Sewerby, Bridlington, East Yorkshire, YO15 1EA
I travel all over Yorkshire as a pianist. Here is a list of the towns and villages I cover:
- Boston Spa
- Burley in Wharfedale
- Denby Dale
- Hebden Bridge
- South Elmsall
- Sowerby Bridge
- Adwick le Street
- Hatfield Woodhouse
- East Layton
- Gilling West
- Great Ayton
- Pateley Bridge
- Robin Hood’s Bay
- Runswick Bay
- Thorpe Willoughby
East Riding of Yorkshire
- Bishop Burton
- Market Weighton