Performing as a Pianist in Cheshire
My name is Eugene Portman and one of my favourite places to perform as a pianist is Cheshire. The area is widely accepted as a wedding destination, and it is popular for couples wishing to celebrate away from the throng of Manchester. The reason the area is so popular is because of the amazing variety and the quality of the venues. These venues range from lovely country pubs and wedding barns to modern luxury hotels and conference centres.
Although I play the piano in Cheshire for many weddings, I also perform for other types of events.
A lot of my work in Cheshire is as a classical pianist and I always find classical music very satisfying to play. I am sometimes hired to play a few pieces for a ceremony, but it isn’t uncommon for me to perform a full evening of classical music.
Because I play the piano for a lot of weddings, I have to be versatile with the music I play. I can’t get away with just playing classical music. In fact, I am often required to play a different style of music for each part of the day. For example, classical music is the most popular choice for the ceremony, while jazz seems to be the in-thing for drinks receptions. Also, the wedding breakfast often has a completely different type of music to the evening reception.
Luckily, I play many different styles of music such as classical, Latin, pop, rock, ragtime, sing-a-long, jazz, and swing. This versatility is absolutely essential for weddings, but it also makes my music suitable for other types of events.
Although I play many different genres, my main interest lies in the music of the jazz and swing era. I enjoy playing the old jazz standards and listening to all the old jazz greats such as Ella Fitzgerald and Benny Goodman. My piano style has developed through listening to the great pianists of the past such as George Shearing, Oscar Peterson, and Erroll Garner.
My Work as a Sing-along Pianist in Cheshire
There has been a recent trend to book me as a sing-a-long pianist in the Cheshire area. Furthermore, this is something quite new for me and I have found it to be very enjoyable. This sort of thing is becoming more and more popular even for quite formal events such as weddings. When I play the piano for a singalong I provide all the song sheets and I dress like an old fashioned pub pianist. This consists of a Bowler hat, waistcoat, pocket watch, etc.
Also, please don’t just stay on this page. The rest of the site contains loads of different styles of piano music and does explain the different services that I can offer.
To hear examples of the different styles of music that I play, please visit the following pages:
If you would like help with your ceremony music then please visit the ceremony music page.
Please note that I am always willing to learn any requests that you may have.
Here are a few venues in and around Cheshire where I have performed:
- La Belle Epoque, King Street, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6DT
- Breadsall Priory, Moor Road, Morley, Nr. Derby, Derbyshire DE7 6DL
- Palace Hotel, Oxford Street, Manchester. M60 7HA
- Norton Grange Hotel, Manchester Road, Castleton, Lancashire OL11 2XZ
- Oakley Hall, Mucklestone, Market drayton, Shropshire TF9 4AG
- Farington Lodge Hotel, Stanifield Lane, Farington, Preston, Lancashire PR5 2QR
- Ferraris Country House, Hotel & Restaurant, Chipping Lane, Thornley, Longridge, Preston, Lancashire PR3 2TB
- Park Royal (The), Stretton Road, Stretton, Warrington, Cheshire WA4 4NS
- Shugborough Hall, Milford, Nr Stafford, Staffordshire ST17 0XB
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Golf & Spa, Tarporley Road, Whitchurch, Shropshire SY13 4JH
- Makeney Hall Hotel, Duffield, Derby DE56 0RS
- Dovecliff Hall Hotel, Dovecliff Rd, Stretton, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire DE13 0DJ
- Manchester Town Hall, Albert Square, Manchester, Greater Manchester M60 2LA
- Holiday Inn Hotel, Telford/Ironbridge, St Quentin Gate, Telford, Shropshire TF3 4EH
- Marriott Hotel & Country Club, Worsley Park, Greater Manchester M28 2QT
I perform all over Cheshire as a pianist. Here are the areas I cover:
- Alderley Edge
- Holmes Chapel
- Lower Whitley
- Stockton Heath