Performing as a Pianist in Wiltshire
My name is Eugene Portman and Wiltshire is one of my favourite counties to work in as a pianist. The area is very rural and its lovely venues are very popular. In fact, they are particularly popular with London based couples wishing to marry away from the throng of London life. These weddings form the backbone of my work in the area.
I have mentioned my work as a wedding pianist, but I also play the piano for other events in the Wiltshire area. These include corporate events, private parties, store openings, book launches, and many other types of events.
During my travels around Wiltshire, I have to play a lot of classical music and this is something I really enjoy. This can range from a few pieces for a ceremony to a full evening of classical music for an art exhibition or similar.
Although I do play a lot of classical music, my specialty lies in the music from the jazz and swing era. This music consists of songs made famous by artists such as Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. Furthermore, my piano style has developed by listening to pianists like George Shearing, Erroll Garner, and Oscar Peterson.
Because I play the piano for a lot of weddings, I have to be versatile. Just playing jazz and classical music is not enough. As far as weddings are concerned, I am often required to play different styles of music for each part of the day. For example, classical music is a popular choice for ceremonies, while jazz is tends to be the in-thing for drinks receptions. Fortunately, I play many styles of music and my repertoire ranges from Bach to Coldplay.
My Work as a Sing-along Pianist in Wiltshire
There has been a recent trend in Wiltshire to hire me as a sing-along pianist. This has quickly become something I really enjoy and I always look forward to the next sing-along event. When I perform for these events, I bring all the song sheets and I dress like an old fashioned Cockney pianist. This consists of a Bowler hat, waistcoat, grandad shirt, pocket watch, red neckerchief, etc.
Please don’t just stay on this page.
The rest of the site contains loads of different styles of piano music and does explain the different services that I can offer. To hear examples of the different styles of music that I play, please visit the following pages:
If you would like help with your ceremony music then please visit the ceremony music page.
Please note that I am always willing to learn any requests that you may have.
Here are some of Wiltshire’s venues I’ve visited as a pianist:
- The Rectory Hotel, Crudwell, Malmesbury, Wiltshire SN16 9EP
- Trafalgar Park, Barford Lane, Standlynch, Nr Salisbury, Wiltshire SP5 3QR
- Bakers Arms Badbury, Swindon, Wiltshire SN4 0EU
- The Crown Inn, Chandlers Lane, Bishops Cannings, Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10 2JZ
- St Johns Place, Lower Road, Lower Bemerton, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP2 9NP
- Pentridge Village Hall Pentridge, Salisbury Wiltshire SP5 5QX
- St. Pauls Conservative WMC, 41 Devizes Road, Wiltshire SP2 7AA
- Pelican Inn (The), Bath Road, Froxfield, Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8 3JY ()
- Pinkney Park, Malmesbury, Wiltshire SN16 0NX
- RAF Lyneham, Chippenam, Wiltshire SN15 4PZ
- Rose & Crown Hotel (The) Harnham Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP2 8JQ
I am available as a pianist all over Wiltshire. Here are some of the towns and villages I cover:
- Wootton Bassett
- Market Lavington