My Work as a Pianist
When I started playing the piano the bulk of my work was in Essex and Surrey. Gradually things changed and I started to get work further afield in the nearby counties of Wiltshire, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, and Buckinghamshire. I now cover the entire UK, but I still do more work in Essex than any of the other counties. I enjoy traveling around the country and I really don’t mind how far I have to drive to get to an event. Apart from seeing a lot of beautiful scenery, I get to view a lot of amazing venues which range from historic buildings such as castles and stately homes to modern hotels and golf clubs.
I’ve always loved playing the piano and as a young boy I always dreamed of becoming a professional pianist. It is something that I’ve never tired of and I think that I enjoy it more with each year that passes.
Every event I do is different from the previous one and has different requirements. This doesn’t just apply to the music I play, but it also affects the equipment that I bring to a venue. Being a pianist isn’t enough – I have to provide a range of equipment and services. I have lots of extras such as a radio microphone which can be used for speeches, a quality gazebo for outside events, additional PA systems and a baby grand piano shell to name a few. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any special requirements.
I think that my two favourite types of music are jazz and classical music. I was classically trained and I have quite a large repertoire of music composed by the old masters such as Albeniz, Chopin, Grieg, Bach, and Satie. When I mention jazz it can sometimes frighten people off, but I don’t play modern jazz. I play the music that was recorded by artists like Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, and Frank Sinatra. My piano style has developed through listening to the great jazz pianists like Oscar Peterson, George Shearing, Teddy Wilson, and Erroll Garner. I try to make my music have a general appeal rather than being too highbrow. I also try to play a variety of music so that I can cover most people’s taste.
I’ve mentioned classical music and I’ve mentioned jazz, but that’s not all I play. I also cover many other genres and styles including blues, Latin, pop, rock, ragtime, and even singalong. My repertoire covers an array of music right from Bach and Schubert to Gershwin and Cole Porter and right up to Billy Joel and Oasis. To get an insight into the various styles of piano music I play – please check out my repertoire pages.
I play the piano for all types of events including weddings, private parties, and corporate events. Weddings provide the bulk of my work and I provide music for an incredible number of marriages throughout the year – especially in the Essex area. Versatility is the key when playing for weddings, Very often there are different requirements for the different parts of the day. For instance, a couple might wish to have classical music for the ceremony, followed by up-tempo jazz for the drinks reception and a mixture of rock ballads and gentle background music for the wedding breakfast. This can be followed by a mixture of quite lively music for the evening reception.
Please don’t be afraid to contact me should you have any queries or wish to discuss anything.
No Piano: No Problem
A lot of people think that a proper acoustic piano is, without a doubt, better than a digital instrument. I’ve been to hundreds of different venues and it is very seldom that an acoustic piano is playable. A piano is often there because it is an antique and someone has decided that it looks nice. This doesn’t necessarily mean that it sounds nice. Very often a digital piano sounds far better than an instrument that you would find at a hotel or wedding venue.
I can provide a digital piano free of charge and it will sound superb, Apart from the superb sound quality, it is highly portable and can be moved if you need music in more than one part of the building. It can also be moved outside provided that there is a source of power. All the music that you can hear on this site was recorded on a digital piano that I would bring.
If there is an acoustic instrument at the venue and it is your wish for me to play it – I will go along with your wishes.
The Grand Piano Shell
I also have a baby grand piano shell which is available for hire if you are looking for an instrument that looks more like the real thing. It isn’t as maneuverable as a normal digital piano but it does look smart. See the image below.
I can be contacted using the following information.
Telephone: 07391 472474
Email: mail@eugeneportman. co. uk
Here are a few of the venues where I have performed as a pianist over the last few years;
Lainston House Hotel, Sparsholt, Winchester, Hampshire SO21 2LT
The Belvedere, Hardings Elms Rd, Crays Hill , Billericay CM11 2UH
Open University (The), Walton Hall, Milton Keynes. Buckinghamshire MK7 6AA
RAF Lyneham, Chippenam, Wiltshire SN15 4PZ
Inn at Woburn (The), George Street, Woburn, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire MK17 9PX
Great Barn (The), Upper Aynho Grounds, Aynho, Banbury, Oxfordshire OX17 3AY
Gosfield Hall, Gosfield, Essex
Salisbury Arts Centre, Bedwin Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 3UT
Bisham Abbey, Marlow, Buckinghamshire SL7 1RT
Rhodes House, South Parks Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 3RG
Prested Hall, Prested Hall Chase, Feering, Colchester, Essex
Haseley Manor, Arreton, Isle of Wight, Hampshire PO30 3AN
Rendcombe College, Rendcombe, Nr Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 7HA
Medieval Hall (The), Sarum St. Michael, West Walk, Cathedral Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP1 2EY
Hare and Hounds Hotel, Bath Road, Westonbirt, Gloucestershire GL8 8QL
Berkeley Castle, Berkeley, Gloucestershire GL13 9BQ
Weston Manor Hotel, Northampton Road Weston-on-the-Green, Bicester, Oxfordshire OX25 3QL
Elvetham (The), Hartley Whitney, Hampshire RG27 8AR
Rendcombe College, Rendcombe, Nr Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 7HA
Grafton Manor Hotel, Grafton Lane, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire NB61 7HA
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Grand Piano Shell
- Pianist Bath, Somerset – Piano Music in All Styles from Classical to Jazz
- Pianist Birmingham – Classical Piano Music – West Midlands
- Pianist Buckinghamshire – Classical Piano Music – Aylesbury, Milton Keynes, Slough, Buckingham, and High Wycombe
- Pianist Cornwall – Classical Piano Music in Newquay, St Austell, Penzance and other areas.
- Pianist Derbyshire – Classical Piano Music – Derby, Chesterfield, Ilkeston, Swadlincote, Buxton, Matlock, Ashbourne
- Pianist Dorset – Classical Piano Music – Weymouth, Dorchester, Swanage, Poole
- Pianist Essex – Classical Piano Music
- Pianist Gloucestershire – Classical Piano Music – Gloucester, Bristol, Cheltenham, Stroud, Cirencester, and Tewkesbury
- Pianist Hampshire – Classical Piano Music – Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester, Basingstoke, and Newport
- Pianist Hertfordshire – Classical Piano Music – Hertford, Watford, St. Albans, Hemel Hempstead, Stevenage, Hatfield
- Pianist Kent, Maidstone, Canterbury, Bromley, Rochester, Margate, Folkestone, Dover and Greenwich
- Pianist Lincolnshire – Classical Piano Music – Lincoln, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Boston, Grantham, Stamford, Skegness, Louth
- Pianist Northamptonshire – Classical Piano Music – Northampton, Peterborough, Corby, Kettering, Wellingborough
- Pianist Suffolk – Classical Piano Music – Ipswich, Bury St. Edmunds, Lowestoft, Felixstowe, Sudbury and Woodbridge
- Pianist Surrey – Classical Piano Music
- Pianist Sussex – Classical Piano Music
- Pianist Wiltshire – Classical Piano Music – Salisbury, Swindon, Marlborough, Trowbridge, Chippenham, Devizes, Warminster
- Quote Form
- Recommended Venues in Wales, Essex, Suffolk, Somerset, Gloucestershire, Sussex and Wiltshire
- Sing-a-long Pianist – London, Essex, Sussex, Surrey, Kent, Hampshire and Berkshire – Honky Tonk Piano Music
- Wedding pianist – Wiltshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire
- Wiltshire Pianist Hampshire | Surrey Pianist Essex | Oxfordshire Pianist Gloucestershire | Buckinghamshire Pianist